From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Declare the type of source
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 13:04:08
1 On Mon, 2021-06-28 at 15:00 +0200, Agostino Sarubbo wrote:
2 > Hello all,
3 >
4 > long story short:
5 >
6 > when there is a major change (new gcc, new libc, and so on), tinderbox takes a
7 > lot of time to test the entire tree.
8 >
9 > Let's do a practical example:
10 > A new version of sys-devel/gcc is added to the tree.
11 >
12 > There is no way to know how much packages compiles C/C++ code, so the easiest
13 > way is compile the entire tree.
14 >
15 > Instead, imagine that each ebuild declares a variable called SOURCETYPE ( or
16 > similar, or in metadata.xml if you prefer ) and with a tool like equery/eix we
17 > are able to get the list of all packages that compiles C code.
18 >
19 > The same thing applies to other languages like python, ruby, go and so on
20 > where compile the dev-$language category covers a lot of packages, but there
21 > will be always other ebuilds that uses $language in other categories.
22 >
23 > What do you think?
26 It's a worthwhile goal but it's practically impossible to get it right.
27 For example, right now we've had quite a few cases of Python ebuilds
28 wrongly declaring <stabilize-allarches/>, i.e. people missing use of C
29 besides Python.
30
31 That is, unless you can figure out a way for Portage to reliably detect
32 SOURCETYPE and tell people what to set.
35 Best regards,
36 Michał Górny