From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: New category proposal
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 19:01:17
1 On May 12, 2005, at 10:11 am, Patrick Lauer wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2005-05-11 at 23:58 +0100, Stroller wrote:
3 >> On May 11, 2005, at 8:10 pm, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> * Unique ID strings for packages, zynot style. Messy as hell though,
6 >>> DEPEND="foo/bar {12379812AD7382164BD87678652438FC65E43A2}" doesn't
7 >>> have
8 >>> the same kind of ring to it...
9 >>
10 >> Maybe I'm just a messy person, but I really like this.
11 > So does Microsoft. The registry has many entries where 128bit (?)
12 > object-IDs are used. Very interesting to debug.
13
14 I'm going to ignore that. This thread started because the current
15 category/name naming convention causes interesting conditions. I
16 appreciate that generally Microsoft Are Not Our Favourite Software
17 Company, but giving them as an example doesn't inherently make unique
18 IDs bad, and 128-bit ones are not necessary in this case.
19
20 Also, before I start, I'd like to say that I know I'm not qualified to
21 advocate this as a serious suggestion for adoption by Gentoo, so I'm
22 just explaining _why I like it_.
23
24 >> It prevents upstream naming collisions
25 > But reduces readability for humans to zero. We don't want that.
26
27 Humans are used to dealing with indexes - we remember phone numbers
28 easily, and if we're looking up several things in a large volume, then
29 we're used to using bookmarks or noting down page numbers. A six figure
30 decimal packageID allows for a million packages in the Portage tree
31 (and I'm assuming versions will be separate, anyway), a five figure hex
32 ID would allow far more.
33
34 Yes, arbitrary unique IDs would require an index tool to access ebuild
35 name / category data, but surely there is little choice if
36 naming-collisions are to be avoided and multiple categories are
37 desired? Surely any human-focused naming convention will cause
38 collisions and introduce potential for confusion? The current
39 categories divide collisions into separate spaces, but they don't solve
40 the problem of foo-player being eligible for both the media-CDplayers
41 and audio-mp3rippers categories.
42
43 > At least you haven't tried to optimize it all by using XML ...
44 >> but the rest of us will use
45 >> `esearch -o "%p\n" "" | grep -e category -e keyword`.
46 > *head explodes*
47 > No.
48
49 That's the first time I used that command, but it only took me two
50 minutes to look up & test. Since a dedicated index tool would clearly
51 be required, I'm sure it would have better & more useful syntax.
52 Currently I assume that Mr Harring searches for all the applications in
53 a category by typing `ls -d /usr/portage/app-category/*` - wouldn't it
54 be easier to use `esearch --category country`. Not only would it list
55 them all, but multiple categories per package would also allow those to
56 be shown that might debatably be categorised as "western".
57
58 > ...It might make portage more resilient to one kind of problem,
59 > but forget debugging then.
60
61 Do we have 65000 unique packages in the tree? Would a four figure hex
62 "part number" be that hard to remember when you're debugging package
63 names?
64
65 Again: I know I'm not qualified to advocate this as a serious
66 suggestion for adoption by Gentoo, so I'm just explaining _why I like
67 it_.
68
69 Stroller.
72 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list