From: David Sparks <daves@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] best way of overriding limits for daemons started by init
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 21:55:34
Hi all,

I'm wondering what the best way of setting/overriding limits for daemons
started during system boot.  I want to enable core files.  Note I have
the symbols in the daemons I'm interested in.

I looked at /etc/limits but that file doesn't look like it is used at
all?  /etc/security/limits.conf seems to be for logins after the system
is up.

The solutions I see are:

add `ulimit -c unlimited` to scripts under /etc/init.d/ This gives finer
control when picking what daemons to enable corefiles.

add `ulimit -c unlimited` to ebegin() in /sbin/functions.sh  Any init
that calls ebegin() will have corefile enabled (seems to be all of them).

Is there another way?

TIA!

ds