From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: hasufell@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [pre-GLEP] Optional runtime dependencies via runtime-switchable USE flags
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 17:07:12
1 On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 18:57:19 +0200
2 hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > >> 2. Afais useflags that are already in IUSE and used for build-time
5 > >> stuff must not be used for IUSE_RUNTIME too.
6 > >> This is a random rule IMO. I don't have many cases in mind where
7 > >> this would be annoying (could think of "debug" enabling some
8 > >> in-source switches and adding optional debug tools in RDEPEND.
9 > >> Having one flag here would make it cleaner and tighter for the
10 > >> user to interact with useflags.).
11 > >> However... this is not a logical rule, rather a technical issue. If
12 > >> there is a way to avoid this restriction that would be nice.
13 > >
14 > > I do not see where you are going with this. If it makes sense to
15 > > turn on the build-time support for a feature without installing all
16 > > the dependencies then the extra dependencies should go behind a
17 > > separate USE flag (and that separate USE flag may depend on the USE
18 > > flag controlling the build-time support using REQUIRED_USE). Or
19 > > perhaps the additional dependencies should be in some new kind of
20 > > "suggested" depend.
21 >
22 > I think it is bad to overuse REQUIRED_USE in that way. REQUIRED_USE
23 > blocks the emerge process and should only be used when there is a
24 > technical (not logical) useflag correlation.
25 >
26 > Using a seperate USE flag just because the name is blocked means the
27 > user has to look up another useflag and think about what it is for.
28 >
29 > But as I said... that is rather minor. I just don't like it either,
30 > cause I feel it might annoy me in the future.
31 >
32 > What do you think about useflag expansion and seperating them in
33 > make.conf like yngwin suggested:
34 >
35 > USE_RUNTIME="debug" -> will enable "runtime_debug" useflag for all
36 > ebuilds USE="debug" -> will enable "debug" useflag for all ebuilds
37 >
38 > This would also solve point #1 somehow, cause you don't have to fear
39 > that your dependency graph will grow just because you didn't examine
40 > all newly introduced IUSE_RUNTIME flags.
41 >
42 > For people who want that stuff unconditionally they could do:
43 > USE_RUNTIME="$USE"
44 >
45 > and never bother again with it.
46
47 Please read the rationale. Again. The whole thing. Three times.
50 Best regards,
51 Michał Górny