From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Update to the pax-utils.eclass
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 00:19:25
1 On 08/28/14 19:23, Brian Dolbec wrote:
2 > On Thu, 28 Aug 2014 17:57:11 -0400
3 > "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> scanelf is the last line of defense. If we get there, paxctl and
6 >> paxctl-ng have failed, so we can't trust them really. Changing the
7 >> exit code for scanelf could cause other issues, eg in portage where
8 >> it is used in a few places. As we discussed today during the
9 >> Hardened meeting, we'll ewarn if we get here.
12 > scanelf is also used in the new python based revdep-rebuild. So,
13 > changing it will cause issues there too.
14
15 Thanks good to know. I had no intentions of even suggesting a changed
16 behavior. I'm just pointing out why I wrote the eclass the way I did.
17 You'll notice the exit code is used in conjunction with `&& continue`
18 everywhere except scanelf, so one might wonder why. When I add the
19 ewarn, I'll also add a comment explaining scanelfs behavior.
22 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
23 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
24 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
25 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
26 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA