From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Ban dolib and libopts in EAPI 7
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 14:04:37
1 On Thu, 13 Oct 2016 15:53:16 +0200
2 Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Hi all,
5 >
6 > I suggest that we ban the dolib and libopts commands in EAPI 7.
7 >
8 > Rationale:
9 > 1. There are about 60 instances of dolib in the tree. At least one
10 > third of them appears to be wrong (e.g., should be replaced by
11 > dolib.so for correct mode).
12 > 2. libopts affects only dolib, while the more special commands dolib.a
13 > and dolib.so install libraries with fixed modes 0644 and 0755,
14 > respectively. (The latter is also consistent with dobin installing
15 > with fixed mode 0755, i.e., there is no binopts command.)
16 > 3. There is no newlib command corresponding to dolib, whereas
17 > newlib.{a,so} commands exist.
18 > 4. libopts is not used at all in the tree, which strongly indicates
19 > that there is no need for it.
20 >
21 > Replacement:
22 > Use dolib.a or dolib.so instead.
23
24 ...or insinto + insopts + doins / exeinto + exeopts + doexe.
25
26 For the record.
29 Best regards,
30 Michał Górny