From: Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Suggestion for getting rid of udev
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 17:31:26
1 On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 6:39 PM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 >> Goodbye desktop users then.
3 >>
4 >> We recently dropped HAL. Now all the magic that was done by HAL (and
5 >> required udev anyway) is done through udev directly.
6 >
7 >  My system worked just fine before HAL was introduced, thank you.  I
8 > always had sys-apps/hal and sys-apps/dbus in /etc/portage/package.mask
9 > and my system continued to work just fine, thank you.  Given the great
10 > HAL fiasco, the fact that HAL has been incorporated into udev is yet one
11 > more reason for dropping udev <G>.
14 Then please continue with udev in package.mask and kindly stop trying
15 to impose your workflow on the rest of the world.
16
17 This thread is a waste of time.
20 ~Nirbheek Chauhan
21