From: scott worley <folokai@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RC6 Boot ISO reports + info [kind of long]
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2001 13:16:10
1 Donny Davies wrote:
2
3 >Hi,devs
4 >
5 >I'm wondering whether some friendly gentoo'ers with SCSI setups won't
6 >comment on our new self-booting build ISO system?
7 >
8 >I can report no success on a Symbios 53c810 controller, with the SCSI
9 >BIOS on the MB, in combination with an Yamaha SCSI writer. Sounds
10 >like a funny setup I know, but it can work. I seem to have forgotten which
11 >Linux distribution's bootable installation CD it was that actually worked
12 >for this particular setup. I must try to rediscover it to see what is different!
13 >
14 >The error is:
15 >isolinux: Loading spec packet failed, trying to wing it...
16 >isolinux: Found something at drive = F0
17 >isolinux: Looks like it might be right, continuing...
18 >isolinux: Disk Error 00 drive F0
19 >Boot failed: press a key to retry
20 >
21 >For what it's worth all of our build iso's boot perfectly and work fine on
22 >any type of IDE equipment I've thrown at them so far, its just the SCSI
23 >that needs some tweaking. This isn't just a case of adding support for the
24 >53c810 controller or something else simple/similar is it drobbins?
25 >
26 >Also, I would note that the old 1.0_rc4_pre2 ISO I have here, boots
27 >successfully on my SCSI setup. I think that one is based on a different
28 >boot system with grub though. Further, I would note that the RC6 ISOS
29 >get the SCSI BIOS to indicate that a bootable CDROM has been found
30 >and that it will use "Non-Emulation Mode". I have found Windows NT/2000
31 >CDROMS to give the same notice, but they can boot OK. I have also
32 >noticed that Windows 9x and the RC4 CD get the SCSI BIOS to say it
33 >has found a bootable CDROM which will "Emulate CD-ROM as Floppy
34 >Drive A:". I can use those CD's will boot with. To sum that up, I believe
35 >that this "emulation mode" business/option, appears to have no effect on
36 >whether the CD will boot or not, I guess its just some option in making
37 >a bootable CDROM. Hmm I should read-up some on this isolinux stuff :)
38 >
39 >Ideally you could send in a quick "hey it works on this" report to the
40 >development mailing list, or any difficulties you are experiencing so that
41 >we can establish where the problem hardware/devices are, and make
42 >the required fixes. I do realise that many of us are fully capable of
43 >"working around" the problem, and adjusting locally. I do this myself
44 >sometimes. Usually that means we dont speak up, but instead just merrily
45 >cruise along. Alas it would be better to file a report if something could
46 >be improved, because that way nobody gets left behind, or stuck with
47 >a CD that wont boot for them. Mind you, I'm not saying we can make
48 >a CD that will boot on every system, probably not. It would be going
49 >a long way however into putting together a solid, robust, bootable build
50 >ISO if we can manage to cover cases like mine, and possibly some other
51 >obscure ones/combinations. With the way things are going, I wouldn't be
52 >surprised to see this solved very soon.
53 >
54 >As another sidenote, my particular SCSI driver has amusingly enough
55 >been the default pre-selected host driver inside of the kernel menuconfig
56 >target/program for all of 2.4.x and 2.2.x series that I can remember.
57 >Although I'm certain they decided upon that choice in order to minimise
58 >CONFIG_SCSI_SYM53C8XX and CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX
59 >confusion. This seems to be a pretty important chip to be supported,
60 >as theres tonnes of cards based on it. And then theres the fact that this
61 >is a woodchip.. *rimshot*. But I digress..
62 >
63 >You may find the newest revisions of the (non)bootable ;-) ISO image in:
64 >ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/gentoo/snapshots/build/ix86-linux-gnu
65 >As of now the latest one is "build-ix86-1.0_rc6-r9.iso". It is ~16MB long.
66 >
67 >The master plan I gather, is to eventually come up with a solid self-booting
68 >build CD that contains a chroot'able build environment, along with a recent
69 >snapshot of the portage tree, and a good selection of distfiles (probably at
70 >least enough to do `emerge system`). With some good bug reports and more
71 >testing this can be a reality very soon indeed!
72 >
73 >Another tidbit I'd like to explore, is the possibility of using the -multi option
74 >to cdrecord when writing the ISO. Whilst I've been experimenting with it
75 >I have noticed that unfortunately you dont seem to be able to use the newest
76 >session you've written to the disc, only the first one you write is usable for
77 >booting. So, you can write for example the -r9 release of the build ISO to
78 >CD, then tomorrow you could write the -r10 release, both using the -multi
79 >option, but only the first session is accessible/usable.. at least for booting
80 >anyway. I gather one needs software support in the running OS before one
81 >can access the later sessions. I'd really like to be able to add additional
82 >releases of the build ISO to a CD, in multiple sessions, and have the newest
83 >one be available for booting the computer. Does somebody know more
84 >about this?
85 >
86 >So please *do* tell us whats up with our bootable build CD system and
87 >your hardware. How's it working for you?
88 >
89 >Cheers,
90 >Donny (aka woodchip)
91 >
92 >
93 >
94 >_______________________________________________
95 >gentoo-dev mailing list
96 >gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
98 >
99 Hi,
100
101 I just burned rc6-9 and was able to boot with SCSI. Didn't proceed with
102 install but the CD did boot to root prompt. System is:
103 AHA-2940UW
104 Yamaha CD-RW
105 Sony CD-R
106 2 Seagate UW HD's