From: drobbins@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] first rc4 pre2 installation guide problem
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 11:18:36
1 On Tue, Jan 30, 2001 at 12:03:31AM -0500, Dave Bresson wrote:
4 > Ok, thanks to the new guide that's up, i now know the proper options for
5 > my /boot partition. However, there seems to be some sort of problem going
6 > on with the directions in the guide, specifically with the configuring the
7 > settings section. Right after it says to do a 'chroot /mnt/gentoo' you're
8 > to perform the 'env-update' command. When running 'env-update' i get a
9 > "Error: /mnt/gentoo does not exist!" or some such error. This of course makes
10 > sense, since that dir is now the root directory, however something tells
11 > me that this *isn't* the way the command is supposed to work (i think).
12 > Is it supposed to do this? And of course, exiting out of the chroot'ed
13 > shell to run 'env-update' doesn't work b/c then it can't even find the
14 > command. I've also looked at the python code for env-update in
15 > /usr/sbin/env-update, however i haven't been able to come up with a
16 > solution to this problem. Any ideas?
17
18 You'll notice that the new install guide does not mention setting the $ROOT
19 environment variable. You're having a problem because you setting $ROOT,
20 which is no longer required with the new install method.
21
22 just "unset ROOT" after chroot, and env-update will work.
23
24 Best Regards,
27 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
28 President/CEO http://www.gentoo.org