From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] grub:2 keywords
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 06:00:36
On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 1:13 AM, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
> On Monday 25 June 2012 00:15:59 Mike Gilbert wrote: >> An official release of grub-2.00 should be coming pretty soon. I would >> like to keyword this for ~amd64 and ~x86 shortly after it hits the tree. >> I don't do much work on base system packages, so I would like some >> advice on how to make this as smooth as possible. >> >> My main concern is that many people probably have sys-boot/grub in >> @world. If grub:2 is made visible, portage will install it, and will >> remove grub-0.97 on the next depclean. This could be a little confusing, >> but should not cause any immediate damage since the copy of grub-0.97 >> installed in the MBR and /boot would remain intact. >> >> Is this worthy of a news item? Or I just blog about it? >> >> Anything else I need to think about here? > > do we have automatic migration/updating in place like with grub1 ?  that was > the biggest reason i didn't unleash it for automatic installing on people's > systems. > -mike
No, the grub2 ebuild does not automatically install the files in /boot. grub2-install performs this step, and must be run by the user. It also installs the MBR and embeds the core image in unused disk sectors. This way the MBR/core image is always kept in sync with the files in /boot/grub2. I don't really see a way to reliably call grub2-install from the ebuild, and I think this would be a bit unfriendly to the user anyway.

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-dev] grub:2 keywords Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
Re: [gentoo-dev] grub:2 keywords Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>