From: Simone Gotti <motaboy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ANN: broken-up kde ebuilds (aka 'emerge kmail')
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 21:46:16
1 On Tuesday 19 October 2004 21:30, Anthony Gorecki wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 19 October 2004 10:26 am, Dan Armak wrote:
3 > > I've spent the last few years pointing out to various people why this
4 > > couldn't be done (well). Eventually I got really tired, so we did it.
5 >
6 > This announcement is good to hear, though my one concern is regarding
7 > updates to KDE. Will only two developers be able to keep all of these
8 > packages up-to-date?
9
10 By now, we are in 4 developers (I'm the newest one).
11 Yep the update will be more difficult, but I think that it won't take that
12 more time. For example with a little script I've updated every ebuild from
13 3.3.0 to 3.3.1 in 10 minutes. And I just tested all of them in one day of
14 compilation, fixing some bugs.
15 Probably using "repoman commit" this will take a little more time, and I'm
16 thinking if this can be automated for example passing to it in the command
17 line also the CVS changelog. (I'm just supposing, I don't know nothing of how
18 repoman internally works). So I think that a good and easy solution can be
19 found.
20 Also remember that before a major version usually we're always testing kde CVS
21 and also the various alpha, beta and rc1, these last versions are already in
22 feature freeze and so the dependencies shouldn't change and the time to test
23 the ebuilds is quite long (at least one month)
24
25 Bye!