From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: When will KDE 3.5 be marked as stable?
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 09:06:07
1 On Fri, 2006-05-05 at 09:20 +0200, Bart Braem wrote:
2 > > That way, people who prefer stability over the latest features can run
3 > > "arch", and everyone who bitches about packages being out of date can run
4 > > the middle tag, and "~arch" can be kept for testing.
5 >
6 > I really, really agree here. I know this seems like a flamewar but it is
7 > starting to annoy me. There are several packages that are several months
8 > behind the official releases. I am going to name some of them:
9 > Firefox 1.5: 5 months (the entire world uses it now, in stable)
10 broken, unstable, no good
11 (memleaks and horrible performance on a substantial amount of
12 systems ...)
13
14 > KDE 3.5.2: 1.5 months (I know our devs get prereleases, so we had this time)
15 ~40 bugs open as Chris said. No go.
16
17 > Xorg 7: 5 months
18 I don't know the status on this one, but I guess it's going to be done
19 when it's done
20
21 Also GCC 4.x - all others are using it, right?
22 Well ... 4.0 was a mess, 4.1 is looking good and should be available
23 soon - when everything compiles with it.
24
25 > I know we have a lot of work to do, but I have some concerns. How long are
26 > we going to maintain old packages? KDE 3.4.3 is no longer supported by the
27 > KDE developpers. Firefox extensions for 1.0 are becoming extinct.
28 > You are also getting a lot of work trying to fix bugs in old software. Most
29 > probably you are starting to backport bugfixes, is this the way we want
30 > things to go?
31 No, but if the new version is buggy it's not going to be unmasked just
32 because upstream would prefer that.
33
34 > I understand you don't care about how many users you have, Gentoo is not a
35 > bussiness. But if I try to convince users about the current situation that
36 > is hard. I can't explain this, I really can't. My only answer is "put it
37 > in /etc/portage/package.keywords". But that one is growing very fast...
38 So go ~x86 all the way ... it's been good enough for me for ~2 years now
39
40 I understand your frustration, I'd like Gentoo to be more "bleeding
41 edge" as it used to be, but then I have an install that was originally
42 1.2 (I think, might have been 1.4rc) that was updated and recompiled
43 every now and then - that's really awesome, I don't know of any other
44 distro that offers such good migration paths.
45
46 Just my 2 cents,
47
48 Patrick
49 --
50 Stand still, and let the rest of the universe move