From: flameeyes@gmail.com (Diego 'Flameeyes' =?utf-8?Q?Petten=C3=B2?=)
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: Should preserve-libs be enabled by default?
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 12:22:47
1 "Santiago M. Mola" <coldwind@g.o> writes:
2
3 > --as-needed breaking legitimate code is a problem, though. I wonder if
4 > we have that kind of code in any application in the tree and if we
5 > have some way to detect it.
6
7 You could be looking for code not supposed to work under Solaris or
8 Windows, as the --as-needed behaviour behaves a lot like the standard
9 Sun linker and the forced behaviour of the PE executable format.
10
11 The only thing that can be broken by using --as-needed is code that
12 assumes the order in calling the .init sections of a set of shared
13 objects. Such an order is not only changed by --as-needed usage but by
14 any other change in the loading mechanism. It is strictly related to
15 glibc at this point as far as I can tell.
18 Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò
19 http://blog.flameeyes.eu/