From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Sandboxes
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 02:33:16
1 Mike Frysinger posted <200603241323.11429.vapier@g.o>, excerpted
2 below, on Fri, 24 Mar 2006 13:23:11 -0500:
3
4 > On Friday 24 March 2006 11:32, Andrej Kacian wrote:
5 >>
6 >> "Stuart Herbert" <stuart.herbert@×××××.com> napísal:
7 >> > On 3/24/06, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
8 >> > > so we're clear, users would be able to create their own overlays
9 >> > > and publish their ebuilds right ?
10 >> >
11 >> > Not on overlays.g.o, no.
12 >>
13 >> FWIW, this is already possible on ebuildexchange.org.
14 >
15 > how about trying to help out visibility of these user-oriented sites then ...
16 > perhaps the front page of overlays.g.o would have a section on user driven
17 > sites ...
18
19 I like the idea of a pointer to user sites, tho I too would be
20 uncomfortable having j. random user's ebuilds on *.gentoo.org
21 (specifically hand-selected users that are working with specific devs is
22 different, particularly where a dev then retains some accountability for
23 said selection).
24
25 One thing to remember, however. In the US at least, linking to specific
26 illegal material is considered illegal in itself. There is a "common
27 carrier" exemption, however, with the caveat of DMCA takedown notices.
28 Thus, the section on user overlays couldn't mention any non-Gentoo
29 controlled j random user overlays specifically.
30
31 What /could/ happen is that the overlays front-page story introduces the
32 concept in general terms, with a link to a forum for discussion. The
33 forum infrastructure would then provide the ability for users to link
34 to various overlays, and take care of any abuse or DMCA takedown notices
35 as it already does. That would keep Gentoo's involvement legal and
36 above-board.
41 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
42 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
46 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list