From: Christian Birchinger <joker@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: What do you think about removing gtk-1.2 theme engines from tree?
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 11:40:47
1 On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 12:24:15PM -0500, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2007-02-26 at 10:43 -0500, Daniel Gryniewicz wrote:
3 > > On Sun, 2007-02-25 at 21:31 -0600, Ryan Hill wrote:
4 > > > Andrej Kacian wrote:
5 > > > > It makes sense slowly removing *applications* depending on gtk1. Themes should
6 > > > > go last, along with gtk1 itself.
7 > > > >
8 > > > > Gtk1 is already ugly enough, do you want it to be even more ugly?
9 > > >
10 > > > Point, set, and match.
11 > > >
12 > >
13 > > Much as I hate gtk1, I agree with this. Leave the themes as long as
14 > > they're working and there's apps.
15 >
16 > I'm just curious, but why? It's not like people can't get GTK+ themes
17 > themselves quite easily. Personally, I don't think we should have
18 > themes (for anything) in the tree except for two cases:
19 >
20 > #1. The theme is considered part of an upstream package set, fex. if
21 > GNOME or KDE ship with a small set of themes, they should be included
22 > #2. The themes are made by Gentoo
23 >
24 > For anything else, let the user download what they want and use it as
25 > they see fit. There's not much reason to track them in the package
26 > manager. That being said, I'm not opposed to the themes staying in the
27 > tree, either. I'm just trying to find out people's motivations for
28 > either keeping them/removing them.
29
30 Those are theme-engines and not just a few pixmaps and with an rc
31 file. The main part of those engines are compiled libraries.
32 Don't treat them like a few files the user just has to copy in
33 his homedir.
34
35 Christian
36
37 PS: please stop those weekly attempts to remove Gtk1 from the
38 tree. Not everyone is using Gnome or KDE and lots of smaller
39 dockapps and similar tools are Gtk1 and work perfectly fine.
40 (Yes, this was a rant and it's my personal opinion)
41 --
42 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list