From: Florian Schmaus <flow@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] <non-maintainer-commits-welcome/> proposal
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2022 12:42:45
1 On 04/07/2022 17.27, David Seifert wrote:
2 > Ultimately, all these things really matter when only the defaults
3 > change. Turn-right-on-red in the US is such a thing, because unless
4 > otherwise stated, it's the norm. Knowing our devbase, with roughly 75%
5 > mostly AWOL and barely reading the MLs, I don't think this idea will
6 > bring about the desired change.
7
8 This sounds like you assume that the majority of Gentoo devs are OK with
9 other people making changes to their packages. This very well could be
10 true, but without an indication you never know if the maintainer feels
11 this way.
14 > Instead, we should really just go for
15 > the <non-maintainer-commits-disallowed/> tag, because my feeling is that
16 > the default will be that most maintainers don't mind non-maintainer
17 > commits, except a select few territorial ones.
18
19 It appears that we have at least two options here:
20
21 A) Establish that the default is non-maintainer-commits-welcome, and
22 introduce a <non-maintainer-commits-disallowed/> metadata element.
23
24 B) Declare the default to be unspecified and introduce two metadata
25 elements: <non-maintainer-commits-welcome/> and
26 <non-maintainer-commits-disallowed/>.
27
28 I think you are proposing A) here, but please correct me if I am wrong.
29
30 Personally I would tend to B). But I have no strong opinion on this, as
31 long as some kind of signalling is established.
32
33 How do others feel about this?
34
35 - Flow