From: Luke-Jr <luke-jr@×××××××.org>
To: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Stuart Stegall <stuart@×××××××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-desktop] X freezing?
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 16:15:59
1 On Thursday 28 October 2004 2:50 pm, you wrote:
2 > [yeah, it went to the wrong list, but I might as well address the issues
3 > involved...]
4
5 How is -dev any less appropriate for this than -desktop?
8 > On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 02:05:37AM +0000, Luke-Jr wrote:
9 > > On Thursday 28 October 2004 1:53 am, you wrote:
10 > > > Are they sysfs design flaws or udev design flaws. The reason I ask, is
11 > > > that a bunch of kernel developers were talking about rewriting the
12 > > > current hotplug/udev system.
13 >
14 > No we were not.
15
16 I think he meant some Linux kernel developers, not neccesarilly Gentoo, though
17 I'm not on LKML or any such lists personally.
20 > > sysfs works great. I use it regardless of udev. The main problem is that
21 > > udev defeats the entire purpose of modules. Using udev, you must preload
22 > > any modules you want to use manually. If you do that, you might as well
23 > > compile them into your kernel. I'd much rather not have the driver for
24 > > any of my devices loaded until I actually need them.
25 >
26 > See the udev FAQ for the answers to this question. In short, no, udev
27 > does NOT "defeat the entire purpose of modules." Geesh, where do people
28 > get ideas like this from...
29
30 >From udev FAQ:
31 >Q: But udev will not automatically load a driver if a /dev node is opened
32 >when it is not present like devfs will do.
33 >A: If you really require this functionality, then use devfs. It is still
34 >present in the kernel."
35
36 In short, the "solution" to that problem according to the udev FAQ is to not
37 use udev.
38
39 >Q: Oh come on, pretty please. It can't be that hard to do.
40 >A: Such a functionality isn't needed on a properly configured system. All
41 > devices present on the system should generate hotplug events, loading
42 > the appropriate driver, and udev will notice and create the
43 > appropriate device node. If you don't want to keep all drivers for your
44 > hardware in memory, then use something else to manage your modules
45 > (scripts, modules.conf, etc.) This is not a task for udev.
46
47 What makes you think I want the drivers loaded just because the device is
48 connected/available? It may be insignificantly small, but I don't see a
49 reason to use the RAM neccesary nor decrease the stability of my systems for
50 something I'm not using.
51 For example, my motherboard has a parallel port, but I don't want the driver
52 loaded unless I'm actually using it (which is fairly rare).
55 > > > But they would still be using sysfs. Also I am curious as to what
56 > > > "new" USB Mass Storage driver you are referring to? The current
57 > > > mainstream kernel's driver was updated about 4 months ago, and still
58 > > > presents itself as a low level scsi driver to the kernel (meaning it
59 > > > needs scsi.ko and sd.ko)
60 > >
61 > > Well, I noticed they were suddenly "udX" when I moved to 2.6.9...
62 >
63 > "ubX", not "udX". And that happened because you selected the block UB
64 > driver. So you asked the kernel to do this, nothing "sudden" about it
65 > at all.
66
67 >From kernel configuration:
68 >Low Performance USB Block driver (BLK_DEV_UB)
69 >
70 >This driver supports certain USB attached storage devices
71 >such as flash keys.
72
73 It was newly available and the description implies that it is a desirable
74 option.
77 > > Now that I think of it, I'm not sure I tested 2.6.9 w/o udev, so it
78 > > might have been a udev naming thing that I just assumed meant the
79 > > device was a USB disk (w/o emulation)... Either way, it didn't work
80 > > very well for me (e.g. I couldn't use my IDE->USB adaptor).
81 >
82 > Stick with the usb-storage driver if you don't like the ub driver. It's
83 > not for everyone (as the documentation for the driver states.)
84
85 Usually, stuff that doesn't work is marked EXPERIMENTAL or such. Nothing to
86 suggest that in the summary. Using a bunch of greps on the Documentation
87 directory, there does not seem to be additional documentation for the ub
88 stuff. Where does it state that it shouldn't be used (outside of the default
89 N)?
90 --
91 Luke-Jr
92 Developer, Utopios