From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Is Gentoo dying?
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2010 09:40:48
1 On Sat, Apr 03, 2010 at 11:16:32AM +0200, Tobias Scherbaum wrote:
2 > - Infra: One might get the idea our Infra team is just Robin (yeah, sure
3 > there are more people, but ....) ... things are happening slowly (no
4 > offend - I fully understand that those few can't dedicate more of their
5 > spare time to infra work!), take overlays.g.o migration, Bugzie-3
6 > migration and so on as an example.
7 - Presently in the infra team and active on a day-to-day basis:
8 darkside
9 ford_prefect
10 halcy0n
11 idl0r
12 robbat2
13 - In the infra team and active several times/month:
14 fox2mike
15 kingtaco
16 ramereth
17 solar
18 armin76
19
20 Problems in infra:
21 - lack of communication and perceived transparency
22 - We'd like to open read-only access to our Nagios soon...
23 - lack of perceived progress
24 - The perceived big ticket items appear to move very slowly, because
25 they are much lower priority than day-to-day running of infra.
26
27 I do have an announcement to make in the next day or 3 about some infra
28 stuff that's going on, because it's going to affect every developer.
29
30 Question for you there, you said 'overlays.g.o migration'. What
31 migration? It moved to the "new" hardware more than a year ago.
32
33 > - Website redesign - we had a contest some years ago, got a winner,
34 > someone started to adapt the design and somewhat that project fall
35 > asleep.
36 The guy that was doing the redesign changes vanished for a long time,
37 he's been around again lately however.
38
39 > So - what to do now? To be honest - I have no real clue. But a first
40 > step might be to collect your opinions on where we do lack manpower and
41 > ideas on how to solve this problems. A Wiki might be fitting well for
42 > that task *cough*. A next step might be to discuss every identified
43 > problem and discuss our options and ideas how to improve the situation.
44 Discussion on wiki has been going on for a while, I'll come, in a couple
45 of months probably, but I still haven't heard anything of my call for
46 people that were willing to do the work of editors and spam removal.
49 Robin Hugh Johnson
50 Gentoo Linux: Developer, Trustee & Infrastructure Lead
51 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
52 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85