From: Einar Karttunen <ekarttun@×××××××××××.fi>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Is it acceptable to use 'sed' in ebuild scripts?
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 01:20:59
1 On 05.02.02 07:41 -0500(+0000), Bob Phan wrote:
2 > Hello, I've just recently created an ebuild for nethack (put it in
3 > app-games/nethack), however, it's build does not use the standard GNU
4 > autoconf/automake system, but rather forces you to manually edit a config.h
5 > file. Currently, I have just made a patch for X support that is applied when
6 > you "use X". I would like to add Qt and GNOME optional support, but using
7 > patches, it is very difficult to have one without the other, or the context
8 > will not match (very messy). I was instead wondering if using 'sed' within
9 > ebuild scripts was accepted practice, or if I should stick a dependancy for
10 > sed at the top of the file.
11
12 Yes, many ebuilds use sed
13 find /usr/portage/ -name '*ebuild' -exec grep -l 'sed -e' '{}' ';' 2>/dev/null|cut -d/ -f-5|uniq|wc -l
14 300
15 So I don't think it will be banned in the near future.
16
17 > Thanks for any help. I plan on writing a few more (hopefully more trivial)
18 > ebuild scripts for any other software I run across. Also, where should I
19 > submit the ebuild after it's ready?
20
21 bugs.gentoo.org
22
23 - Einar Karttunen