From: "Robin H.Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [GLEP] Web Application Installation
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 02:16:12
1 On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 02:54:19AM +0100, Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 Content-Description: signed data
3 > Yeah. I think we can make -vhosts be the equivalent of what we have
4 > today, and +vhosts do the whole virtual server thing. I'm willing to
5 > code it up and trial it, to see how well it works in practice.
6 Where do you see -vhosts fiting into having multiple instances of a
7 webapp on a single host ?
8
9 > Which leads me onto another TonyTangent(tm). Once we have something
10 > implemented, I don't think it should go into Portage straight away. I
11 > think we should recruit a small team of knowledgable testers, and roll
12 > it out to them first for a whole cycle or two of release/test/scratch
13 > head/try again. It'll take a bit longer, sure, but it'll mean that
14 > what goes into Portage and into general use will already be bedded in.
15 On the experience I gained from working on the php eclass and ufed,
16 Portage is a very good distribution mechanism, even if it is only for
17 initial testing. Just keep it hardmasked while testing with a few big
18 warnings. This also enables us to get a very wide test base including
19 outside users if we so desire. The concept of an initial testing run is
20 definetly worthwhile, but also a strong warning that what you intend as
21 a testing round has a hard habit of sticking around a lot longer than
22 expected no matter what form it is in.
23
24 > Btw, talked to Woodchip on IRC tonight, and he seemed happy enough
25 > with us moving the default -vhosts DocRoot from /home/httpd. So I'm
26 > gonna strongly advocate that the default -vhosts DocRoot moves to
27 > /var/www/localhost/public_html in the near future.
28 Sounds good.
31 Robin Hugh Johnson
32 E-Mail : robbat2@××××××××××××××.net
33 Home Page : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=people.robbat2
34 ICQ# : 30269588 or 41961639
35 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85