From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Evaluating a new malloc()
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 16:44:40
1 On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 11:35 AM, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
2 > I see a *HUGE* reason. glibc ships with ptmalloc. If you think they
3 > should use jemalloc, talk to them. Don't just do it in Gentoo.
4
5 Certainly I think it would be far more productive to talk to the glibc
6 maintainers first.
7
8 However, nothing prevents anybody from creating a Gentoo package with
9 an alternative glibc implementation, patchset, whatever, assuming they
10 are willing to maintain it. It really is no different from having an
11 alternative udev implementation. Gentoo is about choice.
12
13 Now, whether it ever becomes the /default/ choice is another matter
14 entirely. Nobody can prevent people from experimenting - Gentoo
15 developers are permitted to waste their time if desired. :)
16
17 Rich