From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] repoman --nonag (was Re: gentoo-x86 tree cleanup for 'DESCRIPTION ends with a '.' character' warnings )
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 16:36:18
1 On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 10:04 AM, Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > I'm wondering what everyone thinks of having a --nonag option to
4 > repoman and shoving some of the more trivial/style-related repoman
5 > 'warnings' into a 'nag' level warning? IIRC at least one of the QA
6 > team members is so tired of the warnings that they want to make every
7 > single one of them errors; the --nonag option would allow those
8 > warnings to remain in repoman (ie to help guide new dev's or non-dev's
9 > using repoman on their local repos) but since they don't relate to
10 > actual technical breakage they can just be turned off during QA runs, etc.
13 What, specifically, are we considering trivial?
14
15 The whole point of repoman is to prevent devs from making mistakes.
16 Being able to turn off warnings is counterproductive. Eliminating
17 warnings that don't need to be warnings is of course fine.
18
19 There is no value in having an escalating battle between warnings and
20 options to suppress them.
21
22 Rich