From: Robert Coie <rac@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Split tcpserver rules for qmail SMTP/POP?
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 19:19:50
1 I am wondering if my situation is common enough to warrant making the
2 default qmail installation process more complicated internally. I
3 want incoming SMTP connections to be allowed from anywhere, but users
4 should only be able to read mail via POP from within a smaller subset
5 of hosts.
6
7 As it is, it seems to me that the stock qmail package is using
8 /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb for running both qmail-smtpd and qmail-pop3d. It
9 would help me if this were split into two separate files, say
10 /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb and /etc/tcp.pop3.cdb. The default installation
11 could have identical contents in each, but it would then be easy for
12 users in my situation to lock the POP daemon down without affecting
13 the SMTP daemon as well.
14
15 Of course, it's always possible to just use iptables instead of
16 tcpserver, but it would be nice to be able to use the tcpserver
17 functionality as well.
18
19 I would be willing to make a tentative patch to the ebuild if there is
20 sufficient interest and agreement that this would be a net positive.
21 I have not filed a bugzilla bug, because it's a bit hard for me to
22 call this a bug with a straight face.
25 Robert Coie <rac@××××××××××.jp>
26 Implementor, Apropos Ltd.