From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Naming of repositories: gento-x86 edition, bike shedding wanted
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 00:56:46
1 Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
2 > > 0. What names for the tree/repository.
3 >
4 > "gentoo"
5
6 IMO this is the only really accurate name.
7
8 > (it's also the repo_name)
9
10 There you go. It already has the name gentoo. :)
13 > "portage" doesn't make sense, everything else is too long or
14 > potentially confusing...
15
16 Yes indeed.
19 Rich Freeman wrote:
20 > > 0. What names for the tree/repository.
21 >
22 > Suggestions:
23 > gentoo-repo
24 > gentoo-repository
25 > gentoo-main
26 > gentoo-repo-main
27 > gentoo-repository-main
28
29 These are all terribly long and fairly redundant.
32 > > 1. We have some namespaces in Git: proj, dev, priv, data, sites, exp; should
33 > > the tree be in one of those namespaces, a new namespace, or be without
34 > > a namespace? git://anongit.gentoo.org/NEW-NAME.git.
35 >
36 > I'd suggest creating a repository(-ies) namespace (or maybe call it
37 > repo(s)), since conceivably we might have more than one at some point,
38 > overlays might end up in there at some point, etc.
39
40 This is a good point. repos/gentoo.git or maybe ebuilds/gentoo.git
43 Kent Fredric wrote:
44 > Similarly in the "solve confusion as to purpose" for newbies:
45
46 Please be careful to avoid creating "simple" names for things which
47 are actually more complicated than a "simple" name can express
48 accurately. That only creates even more confusion. Names need to
49 be accurate and short. It's very difficult to find the right ones and
50 it is an important matter.
53 > gentoo-packages
54
55 No way, packages in Gentoo are .tbz2 files, not .ebuild files. Other
56 distributions already confuse the naming of their packages with the
57 files used to create the packages. Gentoo does not need to be that
58 stupid.
61 > gentoo-ebuilds
62
63 An ebuilds namespace may not be such a bad idea, especially if later
64 on there will be more ebuild repos next to the gentoo one.
67 Manuel Rüger wrote:
68 > iirc most deb and rpm based distributions use "main" for their central
69 > repository, so +1 for gentoo-main.
70
71 Gentoo is significantly different from simple binary distributions -
72 let's not create unneccessary problems by copying their sillyness.
75 Thanks
76
77 //Peter