From: "Olivier Crête" <tester@g.o>
To: Marc Giger <gigerstyle@×××.ch>
Cc: Dennis Allison <allison@×××××××××××××××.edu>, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Programming advice wanted?
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 23:20:11
1 Hi,
2
3 I've been following this thread for a while and I'm wondering wtf is
4 that doing on gentoo-dev? But I suppose I have to throw in my 2 cents
5 too..
6
7 First, my recommendation is Python and asm. Python, because it has all
8 the nice concepts of modern programming languages, a clean syntax
9 (unlike Perl) and help give good habits. One could also learn Ada, as it
10 has all kind of good "learning" properties, but its a pain to use and
11 not very popular, so I wouldn't recommend it.
12
13 I second the people who has proposed asm. And its not really hard, asm
14 is actually pretty easy, each instruction does just one thing. No
15 complex operator overloading like C++ so you dont know how many millions
16 of instructions are executed for a simple +. I would even go as far as
17 recommending x86 asm, which is one of the most complex kind, but its the
18 ubiquitous architectures (and with amd64, it looks like its going to
19 stay that way for a while). From asm, move up to C or other compiled
20 languages is pretty easy.
21