From: Shyam Mani <fox2mike@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New Bugzilla HOWTO Update
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 20:16:29
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 07/10/2005 08:27 PM, Daniel Drake wrote:
5
6 > As you know, I've been meaning to write one of these for a while. I've been
7 > keeping a list of topics I think should be mentioned. Stripping out the ones
8 > you have covered, here's what I have left:
9 >
10 > maintainer-needed description
11 > maintainer-wanted description
12
13 These two are there, but kinda obscure. They need to be more prominent.
14 As for the rest of the points you've brought up, did you have time to
15 pen down answers as well? If so, could we have a look at them please?
16 Some answers are obvious, but some others aren't and these points are
17 quite valid and do need to be in the doc.
18
19 > Since the doc is already covering a lot of content, and adding some of these
20 > points to it will broaden it further, I think it makes sense to have 2 docs.
21 > One for "how to report a bug", and another for "how to give us lots of yummy
22 > info" in a bug report.
23 >
24 > Something like:
25 >
26 > How to report a bug:
27 > - Search, check that nobody has filed it already
28 > - Fill in the form under the right product
29 > - How to get "emerge info" output
30 > - General policy stuff:
31 > - If attaching, use plain text and never tarballs
32 > - Don't reassign bugs, leave that to devs
33 > - Don't close just because you have workarounds
34 > - What to do if your bug isnt getting attention
35 > - maintainer-needed/wanted description
36 > etc....
37 >
38 > How to give us lots of yummy info:
39 > - How to apply patches
40 > - How to use strace
41 > - How to identify a configure failure
42 > - and how to upload config.log
43 > - How to use gdb, for C apps
44 > - Using valgrind?
45 > etc....
46
47 Yeah, I guess that's the way the doc will go now. I'll have a word with
48 Chris before we start splitting the doc. Other docs-team people had a
49 similar opinion as well, so I guess it's only a matter of time before we
50 end up having the above format.
51
52 > It could also be used as a reference thing, e.g. on a kernel bug, I'll say
53 > "please try this patch", user says "how?", it would be nice if i could point
54 > them to a specific page on the tech doc.
55
56 Very valid point. Thanks for the inputs Daniel! :)
57
58 Regards,
59
60 - --