From: tk188366@××××××××××××××××.uk
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] KDE and ALSA 0.9beta10 build
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 08:43:00
Hi there,

Firstly, i apolagise for posting again, but i posted this message in the user
list but it was appended to a long already existing thread and i think should
have been posted in the developer section anyway. Sorry. Anyway here we go.

I did a recent reinstall and decided to unmask the latest alsa 0.9beta10 because
the alsa 0.5 version gave me massive interference when accessing ide devices
(bug?), the OSS kernel module didn't but the ASLA driver seemed a much nicer
solution with more features.

So far i have built XFree, Gnome, XMMS,Ogle and various other progs without any
problems, when it comes to building KDE building KDEMultimedia 2.2.2 fails when
compiling Kmidi, specifically , the build fails in the TIMIDITY directory,
typing make produces
the folowing output;

In file included from alsa_a.c:55:
/usr/include/sys/asoundlib.h:1: warning: #warning This header is deprecated, use
<alsa/asoundlib.h> instead.
alsa_a.c: In function `check_sound_cards':
alsa_a.c:153: storage size of `ctl_hw_info' isn't known
alsa_a.c:154: storage size of `pcm_info' isn't known
alsa_a.c:189: warning: passing arg 2 of `snd_ctl_open' makes pointer from
integer without a cast
...etc
...etc
alsa_a.c: In function `output_count':
alsa_a.c:614: storage size of `playback_status' isn't known
alsa_a.c: In function `flush_output':
alsa_a.c:662: `SND_PCM_CHANNEL_PLAYBACK' undeclared (first use in this
function)alsa_a.c: In function `purge_output':
alsa_a.c:670: `SND_PCM_CHANNEL_PLAYBACK' undeclared (first use in this
function)make: *** [alsa_a.o] Error 1

I cahanged the references in the relevant files from
/usr/include/sys/asoundlib.h to  /usr/include/alsa/asoundlib.h
as the warning sugested but this made no change.

I am not the most knowledgable person with regards to linux but am quite
competant. I am wondering if this is a known bug when building with the new ALSA
drivers or wether there is a workaround? I don' really use any MIDI at all
anyway, so is there a way i can bypass this part of the build to get KDE up and
running?

Best Regards,

Kristian Tippins