From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] QA question wrg. GRP
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 20:31:45
1 On Thursday 05 February 2004 21:13, Olivier CrĂȘte wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2004-02-05 at 20:58, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
3 > > Binary packages are dirty ;-) Anyone some idea what debian does to this
4 > > respect?
5 >
6 > They are indeed dirty... Debian has a script that does an LDD on every
7 > executable and associates the .so deps with specific packages versions
8 > and add those as dependencies.. But they dont have use flags, etc...
9
10 This is what rpm does too. For useflags we need useflag deps.
13 > There is no way around storing the exact dependencies of .so versions in
14 > the packages I think... The suggestion that I saw of storing from which
15 > package/version they were last seen seems the best thing to do.. So we
16 > can at least give the users a hint on what to do...
17
18 I think that would be a first start.
19
20 > Its better to just have portage stop with "library version of XX does
21 > not match YY, you can not install this binary package, recompile
22 > yourself". Even if it does reject stuff that would normally work, that's
23 > probably better than accepting stuff that breaks..
24
25 Maybe allow forcing, but indeed. I still like LIBVER though as it will give
26 some hint on how likely something is to be working.
27
28 Further as some other "suggestion" it would be nice if you could just do
29 emerge --rebuild foobar-1.2.3.tbz2 and have portage extract the ebuild and
30 rebuild it.
31
32 Paul
35 Paul de Vrieze