From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Tobias Klausmann <klausman@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC pre-GLEP] Gentoo Git Workflow
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2017 11:49:30
1 Dnia 25 lipca 2017 12:59:21 CEST, Tobias Klausmann <klausman@g.o> napisał(a):
2 >Hi!
3 >
4 >On Tue, 25 Jul 2017, Michał Górny wrote:
5 >> The summary line is included in the short logs (<kbd>git log --
6 >> oneline</kbd>, gitweb, GitHub, mail subject) and therefore should
7 >> provide a short yet accurate description of the change. The summary
8 >line
9 >> starts with a logical unit name, followed by a colon, a space and a
10 >> short description of the most important changes. If a bug is
11 >associated
12 >> with a change, then it should be included in the summary line as
13 >> <kbd>#nnnnnn</kbd> or likewise. The summary line must not exceed 69
14 >> characters, and must not be wrapped.
15 >
16 >This limit can be a problem if there's a nontrivial change to the
17 >more than 80 packages in the tree that have more than forty characters
18 >in
19 >cat/pkg[0]. Is the only option there to do word-smithing or
20 >making the commit summary less usefu?
21 >
22 >Or do we have a "violate if necessary" agreement regarding that?
23
24 Yeah, i meant to apply the "must not" to wrapping but "should not" to length. Though I suggest you to ellipsize the package name, if it is unambiguous enough.
25
26 The problem is that if you exceed the length, the summary will be usually cut one way or another anyway.
30 >Regards,
31 >Tobias
32 >
33 >[0]
34 >$ cd /usr/portage
35 >$ ls -d *-*/*|awk '{if (length>=40) {print length, $0}}'|sort -n
39 Best regards,
40 Michał Górny (by phone)