From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dealing with GitHub Pull Requests the easy way
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2016 13:19:47
1 On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 8:32 AM, Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > So if this commit was to get teleported to a different repo,
4 > --signoff by would be preserved, as an intermediate between these two.
5 >
6 > So I think the intent for this is "X reviewed these changes for Gentoo
7 > and takes responsibility for them"
8 >
9 > what text you use to convey that is irrelevant, as long as its used
10 > consistently and everyone understands what the text means.
13 Actually, the text matters a great deal, which is why projects that
14 care about copyright tend to have an explicit DCO. One for Gentoo was
15 in the works but has stalled somewhat (to be fair, it was stalled
16 originally because we were waiting for git to come along). It
17 probably makes sense to at least get that into effect even if we don't
18 have a long-term strategy around copyright attribution and so on.
19
20 The last draft DCO was:
21 Gentoo DCO 1.0 By making a contribution to this project, I certify
22 that: (a) The contribution was created in whole or in part by me and I
23 have the right to submit it under the open source license indicated in
24 the file; or (b) The contribution is based upon previous work that, to
25 the best of my knowledge, is covered under an appropriate open source
26 license and I have the right under that license to submit that work
27 with modifications, whether created in whole or in part by me, under
28 the same open source license (unless I am permitted to submit under a
29 different license), as indicated in the file; or (c) The contribution
30 was provided directly to me by some other person who certified (a),
31 (b) or (c) and I have not modified it. (d) I understand and agree that
32 this project and the contribution are public and that a record of the
33 contribution (including all personal information I submit with it,
34 including my sign-off) is maintained indefinitely and may be
35 redistributed consistent with this project or the open source
36 license(s) involved.
37
38 This is from the last policy draft:
39 https://dev.gentoo.org/~rich0/copyrightpolicy.xml
40
41 (And of course you get to read the raw xml these days...)
42
43 The main issue with the overall copyright policy was the issue with
44 tracking authorship and who goes on the copyright line.
47 Rich