From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP RFC: Third-party contributions
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2016 13:56:13
1 On Thu, 27 Oct 2016 09:42:22 -0400
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 9:13 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
5 > > On Thu, 27 Oct 2016 07:07:20 -0400
6 > > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
7 > >
8 > >>
9 > >> I think this reflects reality. You can submit all the patches you
10 > >> want via bugzilla but it isn't like we punish developers for not
11 > >> getting around to accepting them, unless they're completely inactive
12 > >> Gentoo-wide.
13 > >
14 > > I disagree here. I dare say that Bugzilla is obligatory for all
15 > > developers (they get an account there during recruitment, after all).
16 > > I agree they aren't required to accept patches but if a developer
17 > > outright ignores all attempts of communication, you know what needs to
18 > > be done.
21 > Recruit more maintainers or treeclean the package if it is a blocker?
22 >
23 > While I don't really care for the whole passive-aggressive thing that
24 > some seem to enjoy, mere inaction by a volunteer in certain areas is a
25 > hard problem to deal with, because if they're making positive
26 > contributions in others it is hard to demand that they make a positive
27 > contribution in an area that we choose.
28 >
29 > I get that being met with silence is highly frustrating, and I've been
30 > on the receiving end of it. Still, often the best solution isn't to
31 > try to force somebody to do things our way, but to try to encourage
32 > others to join in so that we have somebody to work with who is willing
33 > to do it our way.
34 >
35 > That is of course what this GLEP is all about.
38 > > To be honest, after writing it all down, I started to get the feeling
39 > > it isn't necessary after all. The initial idea (and what motivation was
40 > > supposed to mean) was that all previous attempts failed because they
41 > > either tried to be too specific, force too many style rules or just
42 > > never got necessary 'global' to reach all affected parties.
43 > >
44 > > I'd dare say this GLEP ended up confirming 'third party contributions'
45 > > are not that special, we don't need special teams to handle them or
46 > > special rules to cover them.
47 > >
48 > > So yes, it would probably be enough to put such a simple statement
49 > > somewhere. The problem is: where? ;-) GLEP seemed like a
50 > > straightforward solution to make it global.
53 > I think that is a completely fair question.
54 >
55 > I wouldn't be hesitant to strongly promote a specific style,
56 > especially if it isn't mandatory. Convention over configuration and
57 > all that.
58 >
59 > As far as promotion goes, I think something on this page might help:
60 > https://gentoo.org/get-involved/contribute/
61 >
62 > Right now that is fairly bugzilla-centric. I think expanding it to
63 > offer bugzilla as one option among many could be helpful. The current
64 > page doesn't even mention gentoo-proxy-maintainers.
65 >
66 > I do think that this is one of the areas where hasufell's concept of
67 > making the 3rd-party workflow the main workflow could have helped.
68 > Right now the people with commit rights mostly do things in a way that
69 > it is awkward to feed 3rd-party contributions into.
70
71 You are really going off-topic, you know? If the mailing list goes
72 quiet for a few days, and Gentoo people start to miss some action, we
73 can start discussing alternate workflows. I really like the LLVM
74 project workflow but I doubt people are ready to take in such
75 a major change.
76
77 > So, maybe instead of a GLEP we need something in the style of a
78 > contributor and committer workflow/guide that work very tightly
79 > together. Then we generate some excitement on the committer side of
80 > that so that people who stick their toes in the water don't have a bad
81 > experience, and then we promote it to the public.
82
83 That was the original idea. However, I wasn't able to figure out who
84 should be 'responsible' for it. The GLEP had the advantage that it's
85 really official and Council-approved, so a random developer won't say
86 'what power does team X have to say about contributions?'
87
88 But then, I don't really want to pursue this further. I'll leave it for
89 others to decide where to put the ideas I've put into words in that
90 GLEP draft.
93 Best regards,
94 Michał Górny
95 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>