From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] better handling of multibyte characters (nls/cjk/unicode)
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 23:58:17
1 begin quote
2
3 Combined reply below.
6 > > > unicode, or utf-8 ?
7 > >
8 > > I personally vote for unicode, but if it is going to be enabled by
9 > > default (i.e. Gentoo support UTF-8 immediately after installation),
10 > > utf8 seems adequate rather than unicode. I just don't want to add
11 > > utf7, utf16, utf32 USE flags for each encoding but have unicode USE
12 > > flag which will support Unicode encodings (if any).
13 >
14 > Exactly. "unicode" should denote adding support for UCS-* or UTF-*
15 > encodings and internal representations.
19 I agree here, just wanted to get a statement out that it should
20 encompass both, since theres a few interesting aspects of UTF8 locales
21 and filenames. (Namely, gtk 1.2 doesn't like utf8 filenames , which
22 makes me want to deprecate it. I've been looking for a solution and for
23 all that I can see no -easy- one was avaiable. )
29 > > > There ought to be some magic to convert locales to utf-8 as well
30 > > > if this is enabled.
31 >
32 > > I'm thinking that it isn't time to make the USE flag default yet
33 > > (liquidx is working on getting UTF-8 down on Gentoo system). Anyhow,
34 > > creating unicode/utf8 USE flag and making it default are two
35 > > different> matters and we can discuss them separately.
36 >
37 <cut>
38
39 > Anyhow, the generation of UTF-8 locales can be accomplished by a patch
40 > to glibc which could be applied depending on the unicode USE flag.
41 > I've got one such patch around, I'll submit a bug to track it in
42 > bugzilla soon.
45 Yeah, I haven't spoken for making it Default, even if I could go radical
46 and demand it default and that we remove all legacy software that
47 doesn't cut it.... *G* (No, I don't intend to ;)
48
49 However, as for the locale genereation patch, that would be very
50 welcome, and i think that alone would make a "unicode" useflag valid.
51 I'm all for this.
52
53 //Spider
57 begin .signature
58 This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!
60 end