From: Georgi Georgiev <chutz@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] linux-info.eclass and $CONFIG_CHECK
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 08:36:01
1 maillog: 21/09/2005-10:27:21(+0200): Paul de Vrieze types
2 > On Wednesday 21 September 2005 09:42, Georgi Georgiev wrote:
3 > >
4 > > * Determining the location of the kernel source code
5 > > * Unable to find kernel sources at /usr/src/linux
6 > > * This package requires Linux sources.
7 > > * Please make sure that /usr/src/linux points at your running kernel,
8 > > * (or the kernel you wish to build against).
9 > > * Alternatively, set the KERNEL_DIR environment variable to the kernel
10 > > sources location
11 >
12 > I kindof wonder why it doesn't try the sources of the running kernel. They
13 > are easilly found at "/lib/modules/`uname -v`/build". Of course as a
14 > final result as someone might want to build against different sources,
15 > but it's a better fallback than an error message.
16
17 Well, this is not exactly on topic, but packages should not assume they
18 are compiling against the running kernel (be it a fallback or not).
19 After a kernel upgrade I usually remerge all the stuff listed in
20 /var/lib/modules-rebuild/ *before* restarting. There is also a
21 reasonable workaround -- set KERNEL_DIR to the proper location of the
22 sources.
23
24 However, in my case I do not have the sources anywhere (nor I need them)
25 and I do not have /lib/modules either.
28 (* Georgi Georgiev (* If it pours before seven, it has rained by (*
29 *) chutz@×××.net *) eleven. *)
30 (* +81(90)2877-8845 (* (*