From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Providing a `service` scripts that speaks OpenRC and systemd
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2017 20:55:48
1 On 09/29/2017 04:53 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 11:32 PM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3 >>>>>>> On Thu, 28 Sep 2017, Austin English wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> Talking with Whubbs about it, I found that our service script only
6 >>> supports OpenRC, via rc-service. I looked around, and from what I
7 >>> can tell, most distros ship a service tool for all supported init
8 >>> systems. I.e., Debian/Ubuntu: supports sysvinit and systemd via
9 >>> init-system-helpers CentOS/Fedora: provides support for systemd via
10 >>> initscripts OpenSUSE: has a working service binary for systemd
11 >>> (according to #suse)
12 >>
13 >> There is "eselect rc" which could be easily extended to support
14 >> systemd. Patches are welcome. :)
17 > ++
18 >
19 > Honestly, I could see the argument for having a generic "service"
20 > command because that is what everybody else does, but there is little
21 > point in arguing about the name of the file when nobody has bothered
22 > to write it yet.
23 >
24 > If somebody writes such a tool and it proves useful, we can always
25 > have the discussion about refactoring.
26 >
27 > To minimize list replies I'll tackle one of Duncan's points - he was
28 > debating whether you really need this vs just using systemctl. The
29 > obvious use case is scripts that are intended to support multiple init
30 > systems - it makes far more sense to put the logic to figure out which
31 > one to run in one place than many. If the runit users want to add
32 > their own logic they could. IMO it would be potentially useful, even
33 > if you and I don't personally have much use for it.
34 >
35 > That said, the sorts of people most likely to benefit probably don't
36 > use Gentoo in the first place.
37 >
38 > In any case, arguing over whether it is useful is putting the cart
39 > before the horse. It doesn't matter if it is useful if nobody bothers
40 > to build it. If nobody has that much of an itch to scratch then how
41 > useful could it be?
44 Great points. It'll be much easier to decide on something when/if there
45 is something concrete to work with. There isn't much stopping a package
46 from making it into Gentoo. If there is demand, it'll be written.
49 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer, Trustee, Treasurer
50 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
51 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6