From: Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Exorcising a d(a)emon from GNOME's past (aka EsounD Last Rites)
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2012 01:24:35
1 Hi folks,
2
3 Today, I was shocked to find that the EsounD daemon is still in the
4 tree and new ebuilds are actually still pulling it in under USE=esd!
5
6 Proposal: package.mask media-sound/esound, use.mask USE=esd. Anything
7 that still uses it should stop using it. Anything that /needs it/
8 should be purged from the tree with extreme prejudice[1].
9
10 I'll do the first two today, and the rest of the rituals necessary to
11 complete the exorcism will take a month. Help in this regard is
12 welcome since the job is rather straightforward.
13
14 Thanks!
15
16 1. In exceptional cases, a dependency on pulseaudio will also suffice
17 since pulseaudio emulates an esound socket while running with
18 `module-protocol-esound-unix` loaded, which is the default.
21 ~Nirbheek Chauhan
22
23 Gentoo GNOME+Mozilla Team