From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] use foo && bar vs. [ `use foo` ] && bar
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 17:46:54
1 On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 18:33:49 +0100 Tom Knight <tomk@g.o> wrote:
2 | Back on topic, I've searched for this on bugzilla, and didn't find
3 | anything, but I'm sure it's come up on the forums before. There are
4 | several ebuilds which have something along the lines of:
5 |
6 | use foo && bar
7
8 This is correct.
9
10 | Which executes bar if the foo USE flag is set, the problem is that the
11 | use function not only returns true when the USE flag is set it also
12 | echos the flag to stdout. When you emerge something you end up with
13 | loads of use flags outputted.
14
15 This is about to change. In the future use will be silent and usev (?
16 can't remember whether it's a v...) will output.
17
18 | The solution is to do it like this:
19 |
20 | [ `use foo` ] && bar
21
22 Don't do that.
23
24 | I'm going have a go at fixing some of the net-mail packages, if others
25 | can do the same taht would be great.
26
27 Don't. You'll just have to un'fix' it again later :)
30 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Sparc, MIPS, Vim, Fluxbox)
31 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
32 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm