From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] init script guidelines
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 17:47:45
1 On Tuesday 19 July 2005 12:42 pm, Eric Brown wrote:
2 > The real problem is not that the daemons don't return errors, but that
3 > our init scripts do not make reasonable attempts to verify service startup.
4
5 i'd disagree ... if a service sucks, it sucks
6
7 adding some code to try and guess whether the service actually started is a
8 roundabout (and by no means fool proof) way of doing things ... it may result
9 in correct results sometimes, but i imagine it'll also be susceptible to
10 false positives
11
12 > If a Gentoo init script claims that a service started, it should make an
13 > effort to check that the processes are actually running shortly after the
14 > script is run
15
16 how do you define 'short' ? really anything that relies on sometime out value
17 like this is a flawed design ... just cause your smokin fast amd64 should
18 complete in .1 seconds doesnt mean my not-very-smokin-fast-at-all arm
19 netwinder can complete inside of 3 seconds
20
21 > Relying on the return
22 > value of start-stop-daemon is simply insufficient for some services.
23
24 then those services should not be using ssd
25
26 > I propose increasing developer awareness of this problem, perhaps
27 > through some formal guidelines for ebuild developers.
28
29 this seems to be the only feasible approach (and one i'm all for)
30 -mike
31 --
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list