From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: "Tomáš Chvátal" <scarabeus@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, chromium@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Stop altering of current release ebuilds and propagate the changes slowly
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 17:29:27
1 On 11/11/2011 2:58 AM, Tomáš Chvátal wrote:
2 > Hi guys,
3 >
4 > In last 3 days i recompiled chromium 3x
5 >
6 > 1x rebuild for cups useflag
7 > 1x update
8 > 1x rebuild for cups useflag
9 >
10 > If you screw the ebuild up then always think if the change is worth
11 > the stupid long recompile time.
12 > Like it is not enough there is version bump every few days...
13 > Just alter only live ebuild and branch of it with each release and do
14 > not alter the releases unless really critical bug is there. People are
15 > patient and they can wait for bugfixes.
16 >
17 > Imagine that I would adopt your approach with libreoffice. I suppose
18 > people would chain me to some wall and use as target practice as
19 > result fo my actions :)
20 >
21 > Cheers
22 >
23 > Tom
24
25 I often rebuild chromium several times a day, so I probably don't notice
26 the effect that small changes would have on a more typical user. I'm
27 sorry that the frequent updates are inconvenient for you.
28
29 I think Pawel and I do a good job of not screwing with the stable channel.
30
31 We try to limit most of the changes to the dev channel releases (hard
32 masked). The cups use flag change happened just before upstream pushed
33 16.x to the beta channel (~arch), so that put us in an odd spot when
34 adding the cups use flag back.