From: Joshua Pollak <pardsbane@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposed Issuetracker via PEST
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 11:48:31
1 On Wednesday 28 November 2001 12:06, you wrote:
2 > On Wed, 28 Nov 2001 11:28:28 -0500
3 >
4 > Joshua Pollak <pardsbane@××××××××××.org> wrote:
5 > > > > In summary, usability is far and away the most important thing
6 > > > > in a bug tracking/issue tracking system, and a objective analysis
7 > > > > is probably in order.
8 > >
9 > > I agree usability is the most important issue, which is why I thought
10 > > PEST was the best solution of the ones I could find. I had not heard of
11 > > Roundup, gnats, or rt, but I'll check them out. I think Bugzilla and
12 > > Debbugs both have serious usability issues. They are both very confusing
13 > > to use and just plain messy and ugly.
14 >
15 > You've never heard of gnats or rt? Wow. What did you find confusing
16 > about debbugs? Have you ever used it? Did you look at the URL I
17
18 I dunno why I haven't heard of gnats and rt, perhaps either I've been living
19 under a rock, or I've used them without knowing it. Most bugs I've filed have
20 been with SourceForge projects, Mozilla, and Debian, so those are the systems
21 I'm most familiar with.
22
23 I have no doubt Debbugs is the most feature full of the systems, and I do
24 like the email interface, however, I find the web interface is complicated
25 and busy, and very hard to do anything with. Systems like Roundup (I just
26 took a look at it) and PEST are (in my opinion) much easier for both novices
27 and experts, mainly because you spend so much less time looking for things.
28
29 > I still place my votes in (this order): debbugs, roundup. I don't know
30 > PEST and I am not a fan of PHP (I prefer real languages like Python
31 > and C) -- there's more to life than the web, and it would appear that
32 > PEST is web-only. debbugs is mail and web, same as roundup.
33
34 This is a good argument, and I only chose PEST because I prefer PHP to Perl.
35 However, Python is definately a good language to implement in, and if email
36 and command-line interfaces are desired, I think Roundup is a great solution.
37
38 Although I do hear PHP has GTK bindings now... ;)
39
40 So I change my proposal to implement the bug tracker in Roundup, to satisfy
41 the demand for an email interface.
42
43 -Josh