From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] systemd profiles
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2014 19:27:22
1 On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 2:11 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > I can deprecate it. To do so, I would need to have it print out a
4 > deprecation warning that would be wrong for Gentoo in the next release.
5 >
6 > That warning would have to tell users to source
7 > /lib*/rc/sh/functions.sh.
8
9 I don't have a problem with openrc supplying an API. However, that
10 API should be limited to openrc-specific functions, and it really
11 shouldn't be used by anything else except for stuff like
12 starting/stopping services, determining the runlevel, or other
13 openrc-ish things. It shouldn't be used for utility functions.
14
15 It would probably make more sense to have a generic init-agnostic
16 Gentoo wrapper in /lib, and then have it call the appropriate
17 openrc/systemd/whatever functions based on how the system is
18 configured.
19
20 If the decision is to stick that generic Gentoo script in /etc I don't
21 think it is the end of the world, but it probably shouldn't be
22 provided by openrc. In general we shouldn't have dependencies on an
23 init system unless the package is actually interacting with the init
24 system.
27 Rich