From: Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: Gentoo Council <council@g.o>, Gentoo Development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-project] Call for Agenda Items -- Council Meeting 2016-02-14
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2016 20:46:56
1 On Tue, Feb 2, 2016 at 3:18 PM, Justin Lecher (jlec) <jlec@g.o> wrote:
2 > Could you please sum up the thread and come up with some precise
3 > question we should discuss or vote on.
4
5 The question is: what language should we use for XML validation in the future?
6
7 There are two main contenders: RELAX NG (with a compact and an XML
8 serialization) and XML Schema. Of course conversion between these
9 schema formats is possible, but the question is what the canonical
10 language should be and what other formats would be provided (and how).
11
12 Summary:
13
14 - I contended that RELAX NG compact serialization is more readable,
15 and that DTD and RELAX NG validation are equally fast. I don't have
16 much experience with XML Schema, but I do have a conversion tool for
17 RNC (compact RELAX NG) -> RNG (RELAX NG XML syntax).
18 - MichaƂ has used both RELAX NG and XML Schema, and prefers the
19 latter. It's more popular, and it seems that cross-referencing things
20 is not supported (trivially) in RELAX NG, whereas it should be in XML
21 Schema.
22 - Robin prefers XML Schema, but can live with both.
23 - trang seems to be a pretty decent tool for schema conversion, but it
24 doesn't handle XML Schema as an input language (likely because of the
25 complexity of XML Schema).
26 - There is a standard for referring to RELAX NG or XML Schema schemas
27 from XML documents, which would be useful for tool authors.
28 - emacs nXML mode works only with RNC schema, which is a reason for
29 Ulrich to prefer it.
30 - Brian seems to like RNC for readability/flexibility reasons.
31
32 I hope other will jump in if they feel I missed
33 something/misrepresented their opinions.
34
35 Cheers,
36
37 Dirkjan