From: Karl Trygve Kalleberg <karltk@×××××××.no>
To: Joerg.Brakebusch@×××××.de
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo floppy bootimages?
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 11:13:50
1 On Mon, 8 Jul 2002 Joerg.Brakebusch@×××××.de wrote:
2
3 > I want install gentoo on a system without CD-Rom. It's only a floppydrive
4 > and a internet-connection available.
5 >
6 > How to install gentoo on this system?
7
8 It is not worth the hassle. We don't have floppy install images. Verwilst
9 has them planned, but it will be a bit longer.
10
11 If you _really_, _really_ want to install Gentoo anyway, you'll have to
12 use your favourite linux minidistro that has network _AND_ reiserfs or xfs
13 or ext3 support, both in the kernel and in usermode (mkfs.xfs, etc).
14
15 I don't know of any few/single floppy distros that do, but I'd expect
16 there to be at least one.
17
18 The alternative is to get FreeDOS, install it on your HD, then copy out
19 the initrd and kernel images from the CD, put those on your HD as well,
20 and use loadlin 1.6b or c (1.6 doesn't work, 1.6a does work sometimes,
21 1.6b is flaky, and 1.6c is even more flaky. YMMV) to boot from your HD.
22
23 Not exactly a picnic.
26 Karl T