From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Enemy Territory and Gentoo
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 17:44:51
1 On Monday 22 September 2003 19:08, Luke-Jr wrote:
2 > On Monday 22 September 2003 05:06 pm, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
3 > > I've only been partly following this thread, but I think I may
4 > > understand. The ebuild doesn't install the game. It just installs the
5 > > installer. Portage can track where the installer is installed, but the
6 > > files that the installer places are installed independently of the
7 > > ebuild and portage.
8 >
9 > I'm referring to in general, not just this specific case. Why not make the
10 > $WORKDIR invisible to ebuilds? It would probably help with ebuild that
11 > currently need to patch broken Makefiles too.
12
13 If there were some way that we can have overlay filesystems supported by the
14 kernel ( readonly mount root, and over that mount a freshly created dir that
15 will be used for all writes instead of the original. For reads though the
16 original filesystem is visible (as long as there is no file with the same
17 name in the writable part)) then it would be quite easy with chroot to
18 "track" changes. I'm not a kernel coder, and I have no idea whether such code
19 allready exists. It should be not too complex either. And also provide some
20 of the "extra security" that was asked by an earlier thread this month. It
21 should also be more foolproof than the sandbox, but relies on the kernel.
22
23 Paul
26 Paul de Vrieze
27 Gentoo Developer