From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: klausman@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Kernel compiles and you
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2012 17:59:50
1 On Wed, 4 Jul 2012 19:46:47 +0200
2 Tobias Klausmann <klausman@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Recently, I have again bumped into the question whether one
5 > should compile the kernel as root. One of the things that puzzles
6 > me is why almost every HowTo, blog post and book recommends
7 > building as non-root -- yet basically no distribution /helps/ the
8 > user with doing that.
9 >
10 > I've discussed this with a few people on #gentoo-dev and they've
11 > provided valuable insight (thanks AxS, Chainsaw and WilliamH), so
12 > I have gathered the results so far here:
13 >
14 > http://blog.i-no.de/archives/2012/07/index.html#e2012-07-04T19_28_32.txt
15 >
16 > Feel free to comment (ideally here). Note that I'm aiming for a
17 > solution that is not (overly) Gentoo-specific.
18
19 There's a very simple yet custom solution I'm using. Shortly saying:
20 checkout the kernel git to /usr/src/linux and chown to your user. As
21 far as it goes, it's superior to having kernel sources installed by
22 ebuilds.
23
24 I just have to remember to do 'git fetch' from time to time and 'git
25 merge' whenever a new version is tagged.
28 Best regards,
29 Michał Górny