From: "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] A User's View of the Code of Conduct
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 20:51:54
1 Larry Lines wrote:
2 > I learned Linux by
3 > installing and hacking and suffering over Gentoo. Exactly one year
4 > after installing Gentoo, I was in Hong Kong building and programming for
5 > a Linux cluster. There is no other distribution that compresses the
6 > learning curve like that. I still can't figure out what is supposed to
7 > be easier about running Redhat or Fedora. Sure installation is easier
8 > but then you don't know where anything is and you can't tweak anything
9 > easily.
10 >
11 And that's precisely because a whole generation of RHCEs knows *exactly*
12 where everything is on a Red Hat or Fedora system, and Gentoo puts
13 everything somewhere else. :) If I were an RHCE, I'd have just as much
14 trouble customizing and tweaking a Gentoo (or Debian) box as you would
15 on a Fedora system. I know ... I've flunked the dang RHCE exam *twice*
16 for that very reason! :) It's about repetition, muscle memory, rote
17 learning, etc. -- not about Red Hat being "better" than Gentoo or the
18 other way around.
21 M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, FBG, AB, PTA, PGS, MS, MNLP, NST, ACMC(P)
22 http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/
23
24 If God had meant for carrots to be eaten cooked, He would have given rabbits fire.
27 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list