From: Richard Yao <ryao@×××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Relicensing sys-freebsd/* under the BSD-2 license
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 17:55:11
1 On 03/30/12 13:34, Alexis Ballier wrote:
2 > On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 12:34:26 -0400
3 > Richard Yao <ryao@×××××××××××××.edu> wrote:
4 >
5 >> I wrote sys-freebsd/virtio-kmod (bug 410199) while studying
6 >> Gentoo/FreeBSD as part of an attempt to port gptzfsloader to Gentoo
7 >> Linux. naota wrote an improvement that would be useful to send
8 >> upstream. However, the GPL-2 license poses a problem according to
9 >> conversations that I had in #gentoo-dev.
12 > if he wrote the improvement, he can send it upstream under whatever
13 > license he wants; generally, it is implicit that a patch follows the
14 > same license as the code it applies to, esp. when the author himself
15 > agrees to share it with upstream.
16
17 The improvement is to the ebuild itself. It is a variable containing a
18 list of directories upon which the module's build system depends.
19
20 I spoke to naota and he doesn't have any problem sending this upstream,
21 so I sent an email to the FreeBSD maintainer offering him the improvement.
22
23 >> While I have asked naota for permission to upstream the line he wrote,
24 >> this poses a more general issue for collaboration, especially if I
25 >> port more kernel modules from FreeBSD Ports.
26 >>
27 >> Would it be possible to relicense sys-freebsd/* under terms of the
28 >> BSD-2 license?
31 > what do you mean by 'relicense' ? for ebuilds, you'll have to ask
32 > permission to all contributors to this area, and, afaik, the foundation
33 > owns copyrights so it has a word to say too.
34 > if you mean the 'LICENSE' field of ebuilds, then this is not the right
35 > place to ask.
36 >
37 > A.
40 I am referring to the ebuilds themselves. Right now, all ebuilds in the
41 tree are GPL-2 licensed. This makes contributing FreeBSD-specific
42 improvements to FreeBSD Ports upstream difficult.
43
44 I want sys-freebsd/virtio-kmod to be BSD-2 licensed, but I do not expect
45 the version that enters the portage tree to be BSD-2 licensed unless
46 people clarify that it is okay to license ebuilds under something other
47 than the GPL-2.