From: Brian Jones <briankjones99@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] boot says I didn't compile DEVFS support
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 11:09:07
1 Hi all.
2 I know this makes me look like a total moron. Please
3 excuse my ignorance (I'm doing this in the hopes of
4 becoming less ignorant- guess it's not really working)
5 :)
6
7 I'm using rc6-r14 on a very simple hardware platform
8 (400 Celeron, Winbond, intel, ATI, all stuff that's
9 been supported in linux for 3-4 years now) :)
10
11 I followed all of the steps in the install guide, and
12 everything worked pretty much as I had hoped. The
13 little glitches that came up I was able to come up
14 with solutions for, and everything acted pretty normal
15 after (the big one was that I didn't have the 'passwd'
16 or 'grub' commands, so I reran emerge system and
17 updated all my stuff).
18
19 I compiled a new kernel using menuconfig, but didn't
20 see any options that explicitly said 'Device File
21 System'. I did some reading about devfs to see if it
22 was used for anything the kernel I made didn't
23 support. It's used for UNIX PTYs, but I have that in
24 there. I had everything enabled and BUILT IN that I
25 could figure out belonged there. I also compiled the
26 Virtual File System stuff in there. Can anyone tell
27 direct me to the menu entry I missed? I'm using
28 kernel 2.4.16, which I got using the emerge kernel
29 sources command (don't remember it verbatim off the
30 top of my head).
31
32 My grub install went well and the grub screen came up
33 fine. My menu.lst just has the basic timeout, root=
34 and stuff. After the first boot, I added
35 'gentoo=nodevfs' to it - which I must admit I don't
36 understand - what is the label 'gentoo' a pointer to?
39 Anyway, I think I got everything going really well,
40 but unfortunately I can't boot properly so I'm
41 wondering if there's something I missed, and how this
42 might be fixed.
43
44 I appreciate any pointers in the right direction.
45 Thanks,
46 njcajun
50 Do You Yahoo!?
51 Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
52 http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/