From: Karl Trygve Kalleberg <karltk@×××××××.no>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Issues with mplayer-0.18pre ebuild
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 04:24:02
1 On Fri, Sep 21, 2001 at 12:35:49AM +0200, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
2 > Do we:
3 > 1) look for X in USE, if so make libSDL a required depend and install
4 > a .conf that use SDL for sound and video (since SDL can make use of
5 > accel and also autodetect the sound ...)?
6 > 2) if ! X in USE, assume that the framebuffer dev will be used and
7 > install a .conf accordingly ?
8 >
9 > This is the easiest way of doing it as far as I can see. X11 do not
10 > give decent output, and determining if OpenGL sould be used, or XV, or
11 > DGE, etc can be difficult, and since SDL can autodetect this, it should
12 > make things easier ... same with audio ....
13
14 It would seem that you have a prioritized list of options on which graphics
15 library we should use.
16
17 I would suggest that the ebuild goes through that list in prioritized order,
18 checks which are installed, and if none, have a fallback in place.
19
20 SDL as a fallback on X is okay.
21
22 Same thing with sound.
23
24 If, for some reason, this turnes out to be impossible, you must at least
25 make a note in post_install() about the fact that the user himself needs to
26 customize the /etc/mplayer.conf file.
27
28 Karl T