From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Integrating Portage with other package managers
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2018 20:11:31
1 On Fri, Mar 9, 2018 at 10:17 AM, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
2 > The containers are nominally stateless, so there is less chance of 'gunk'
3 > building up and surprising me later. It also makes the lifecycle simpler.
4 >
5 > Obviously its somewhat harder for stateful services (databases, etc.) but I
6 > suspect things like SANs (or Ceph) can really provide the storage backing
7 > for the database.
8 > (database "schema" cleanliness is perhaps a separate issue that I'll defer
9 > for another time ;p)
12 Restated:
13
14 Containers are stateless, which prevents programs from munging state,
15 because there is none. This is okay except when one needs state, which
16 one does for most desktop activities.
17
18 This implies it doesn't solve the problem. Working around it may be
19 valid, but only if state can be preserved.
20
21 Cheers,
22 R0b0t1