From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new herd: vdr - topic reanimated
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 06:25:41
1 On Sun, 9 Jul 2006 19:17:09 +0200
2 Matthias Schwarzott <zzam@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Hi!
5 >
6 > As the situation now has changed I would like to discuss this one
7 > more. Since one week we (hd_brummy and me) have changed our Gentoo
8 > VDR Project
9 > (http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/video/vdr/index.xml) to an
10 > official subproject of desktop/video.
11 >
12 > Now the situation is as follows:
13 > Most packages have historically either
14 > a) one of us or
15 > b) both as a maintainer
16 > and the herd media-tv as fallback.
17 > c) The newest ebuilds have herd media-tv and vdr@g.o (projects
18 > mail-address) as maintainer.
21 > We now think that this should be unified. Our ideal would be having
22 > the concept of a sub-herd.
23 > The best realizable alternatives we can think of are:
24 > c) herd media-tv and vdr@g.o (projects mail-address) as
25 > maintainer. d) create an own herd vdr.
26
27 A package can belong to more than one herd. So you could create a
28 media-vdr herd, and have two herd tags in the metadata.xml for the vdr
29 packages; media-tv and media-vdr (I suggest the media- prefix as it's
30 not necessarily obvious what vdr means on its own). If you do this,
31 make sure there's a maintainer tag.
32
33 However (c) seems to be the most sensible approach.
37 > What do you think of that?
38 >
39 > Zzam
44 Kevin F. Quinn